Sunday 16 January 2011

Parkour research

Welcome to my blog for the ANI204 Post Production unit.

This unit is going to involve producing live action footage within a group and then creating CGI that will be added to the footage.

Within my new group, the Kash Kong Monkeys, we have been having discussions on Facebook and we have come up with the idea of a person being chased by a monster and they do parkour to try and escape.  In order to get some ideas for this project, I have looked at several chase scenes, as well as parkour/freerunning videos to get an idea of what this art form is all about.

I started trying to narrow down my research by looking at chase scenes from films that specifically integrate parkour.  I looked at quite a few French action thrillers, particularly those of Luc Besson.  Here is a chase sequence from the film District 13, featuring the amazing David Belle.



When looking at David Belle's work I came across this advert for BBC1 that I remember from years ago!


Another athlete, that was suggested to me by my teammate Will, is Sebastien Foucan, although he is more about freerunning.  After watching this video, I learnt quite a bit about what these disciplins are about.  They are about freedom of movement and focus; they are about making the most of your environment and about finding yourself. Foucan really is an inspiring person and I have a lot of admiration for the way he made the most out of growing up in a tough neighbourhood; he really sets a great example of how anyone can really make something of themselves if they really go for it.



Lastly, here is a compilation of parkour videos that I found on Youtube. I used this largely to study the typical camera movements/shots that you see in parkour videos.

The camera work in parkour videos tends to be static or with limited movement; but the focus is always on the athlete. This is quite obvious but it may be important to reference when we are going to consider elements such as motion capture of the animated pursuer in our piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment